Dec 17, 2015

Cooking in a Sun Oven is Safe



One of the nice things about cooking in my Sun Oven is the safety factor. Not only I am cooking with no flame or hot element, it is relatively safe for children who might be around.

The 4 mirrored polished aluminum reflecting panels never get hot in the sun. They are reflecting the light and heat into the dark oven area.

The glass lid that covers the oven does get hot, but not enough to burn the wayward fingers of a child. It does get hot, up to about 160 degrees F. on a summer day in Vegas, but not hot enough to burn.

If a child does happen to touch the glass, they will immediately withdraw and believe me, they won't do it again. They won't be burned but they will be warned. 

The inside does get hot like an oven and proper hot pads or gloves are needed when taking out food, but I am sure only the cook will be attempting that duty.

Once in a while I do find that the angle of the sun is just right so it reflects brightly on a person looking at the solar cooker. This usually means it is out of focus and can be quickly remedied easily.



I find that I worry less when cooking with the grand children around using the Sun Oven compared to when we cook with charcoal briquettes or the camp stove, When using other cooking devices I am constantly watching the cooking area for wandering little hands.

Just one reason I love my Sun Oven, and a good one!

All the best my friend, and have a wonderful holiday!

Michael

No comments: