Feb 21, 2003

Greetings!

The times we live in dictate that I share some important views that most people may not be aware of. This new web log page will deal with how solar energy can help you and your family use solar energy to better prepare for emergencies and enable you to achieve a more independent lifestyle. I will post portions of articles that I have written that deal with this important topic. There are many ways that solar power can assist us and we will discuss many topics over the days, weeks and months ahead. During the time of these posts please feel free to email me with specific questions or comments at: mikelittle@vegastrailer.com.

This web log (blogger) thing is new to me so please be patient as I learn the ropes.

First, let me tell you a little about myself. I am manager of Vegas Trailer Supply in Las Vegas, Nevada. Been here for about 15 years. I have been selling solar energy products at this RV parts store during that time and about four years before coming here. In 1998 I heard about the possibility that Y2k could produce havoc in the world and I became concerned about my family, friends, employees and neighbors. In general I got caught up in some of the hoopla, but I don't regret it, not for one minute.

We started to learn how to get better prepared for emergencies and what products people could use to aid them in their emergency preparedness. We started having regular preparedness seminars at our store and during the last half of 1999 I hosted a weekly radio preparedness show on one of our local radio stations. It was a lot of work. We all learned alot about preparedness, but we found that most steps we took to be better prepared helped us in our daily lives as well. We tried to gear all seminars and radio programs on general preparedness steps that we could take that would help us during good times as well.

We learned how to make bread by grinding our own wheat and making the best tasting and nutritious (and cheap) bread ever. We learned the importance of Dutch ovens and how to have fun making delicious meals for every day use, and how to cook in an emergency situation. We had the American Red Cross teach us about disaster preparedness and the importance of a "72 Hour Kit" or "Mobility Bag". We learned about good old country living and solar energy. We talked about water storage and sanitation. We also learned the hard way about food storage, and the importance of rotating your food. We learned some basic avoidance strategies when dealing with the bad guys (predator types). We learned about natural disasters from people who had experienced hurricanes and other nasty situations.

We learned a thousand other things, but what I learned about myself is that if there had been a major problem at the turn of the century (millennium) I and my family were still not prepared enough. Sure we had taken some pretty major steps, but I thank God that it all just blew over with no incident. I learned that emergencies don't come slowly, they don't announce themselves months beforehand. They come suddenly and unexpeted. The American Red Cross has been preaching this for years. They have many good tips on emergency preparedness at http://redcross.org but they, nor any other organization or author, mentions the word "solar" in their publications.

Time will not allow me to post a lot of information at one time, but I invite you to visit my web site at: http://vegastrailer.com for some important information and links in the interim. My site is not what I want it to be - but that is because of the time it takes - thus the importance of this web log site. I feel this page will be of great help in getting the information in my head out to others. I am not a writer. But we all know things that can help others and I hope to learn from you during this time. Please forgive my bad grammar, miss-spellings and typos. I intend to use this page as a regular log to share some of our experiences and lessons from others. Please write me with your thoughts. I will try to include them in these posts. Also, could you drop me a note (mikelittle@vegastrailer.com) to let me know if this page is helpful?

If you have an interest in this topic check back often. If you want more information now, you might read the first of six articles on the subject which is published at http://earthtoys.com titled "Safer Lighting with Solar". It is located in the newsletter section.

Until next time, all the best.
Mike the solar guy.

No comments: