Apr 10, 2018

Baked Ham

We've used our global Sun Oven for over 18 years and it keeps on providing delicious cooked bread, roasts, beans, rice, baked potatoes, quick breads, cookies, cakes and more. Yesterday we cooked a small ham, since we didn't cook one on Easter. It reminded me of a family story:

Back when we were not "empty nesters" my son slightly chided me for buying too much food when I bought a fairly large ham on sale and was getting it ready for baking in my Sun Oven. I shrugged it off.

After eating dinner that night he came to me and said, "Dad, I take back what I said earlier today. That was the best tasting ham I ever ate!"

I find that true with just about anything cooked in a Sun Oven. "Everything just tastes better", said my daughter about 17 years ago. There is little exchange of air and the food is always moist and full of flavor. It is my number one preferred means of cooking. I would be lost without my ingenious, simple solar cooker.

I saw a review on You Tube the other day that was rating various solar cookers. I could tell that the author of the video actually had not even tried any of the various cookers, but rather assembled a top 10 solar cookers list from information of others on the internet (just so he could get advertising "hits"). When it came to the Sun Oven the announcer and graphics said that it takes "just a few minutes to set up the Sun Oven".

Not even! It takes a few seconds! I pick it up (3 seconds), set it down on the patio outside my door (4 seconds), open the reflectors (3 seconds), aim it towards the sun (2 seconds), adjust the level (4 seconds at the most), go in the house to prep the food then cook it. I mean if I spend any more than 15 seconds setting up then I am walking to the other side of the yard due to shading.

It is really that simple! Oh, here's pics of the small ham:

The honey/maple glaze I put on the ham darkens it a bit. 
I'm ready for bean soup later in the week!

We cooked the ham in the dark pot to the right. It is the pot we got from Sun Oven.
It is perfect for almost everything we cook, except cakes, cookies and bread.

I get asked all the time, "will the Sun Oven brown my food?" Yep, and it will burn cookies if you leave 'em in too long! It is a true oven and you can cook ANYTHING you would normally cook in your regular oven.

Happy Sun cooking my friends.

No comments: